Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Word of the day! KARMA!

Lately I've been talking to friends about karma. What it means, why we believe it etc. I'm a FIRM believer of karma. I'm also a firm believer of "what goes around, comes around" and I believe in "you reap what you sow."
My friends and I have conversed about how some people just never seem to learn! If you're not familiar with karma - read below!


Copied from this website: http://buddhism.kalachakranet.org/karma.html

The shortest explanation of karma that I know is: 'you get what you give'. In other words; whatever you do intentionally to others, a similar thing will happen to yourself in the future.
Our largest obstacle to understanding or even believing in karma may be time. The 're-actions' or results of our actions show up with a time delay, and it becomes extremely hard to tell which action caused which result. Actions done in a previous life can create results in this life, but who can remember their past life? For ordinary humans, the mechanisms of karma can be intellectually understood to some extent, but never completely "seen".

The idea behind karma is not only found in Buddhism and Hinduism; it seems that the Bible certainly conveys the same essence:

Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A person reaps what he sows.
(Gal. 6:7)

All things whatsoever you would that men should do to you,
do even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.
(Matthew 7:12)

Simply said, if we chose to ignore the workings of karma, we tend to create many problems for ourselves. For example, if we like to have something expensive, but we cannot afford it, it becomes very tempting to steal. If we are smart and attentive enough, we may never be caught stealing. However, by stealing, we create problematic situations for ourselves in the future, like poverty, or being the victim of robbers. Therefore, if we chose to ignore karma, the results of our actions will still haunt us.

Every mainstream religion teaches us about the consequences of our actions. The explanations may differ, but does it really matter in the end whether the law of karma causes us trouble or God himself in his final judgement?

Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.
Unknown source
Two of my personal favourite reasons to believe in karma, are that it represents ultimate justice as everyone will harvest the results of their actions, and even if karma would not exist, as long as I try to avoid negative actions, the world would be a better place to live in for everyone anyway.


And a fun thing! I changed my hair! It was getting SO long and shaggy. I HAD to do something. Erin over at "Be Salon" cut my hair. I met her in art classes and found out she had her own salon. She has curly hair just like me and we have always cussed & discussed our hair issues. So she gave me a cool cut and even straightened it for me after the cut. I love it! It looks cute curly as well! YAY!

No comments: