Monday, June 21, 2010

Monday June 21

Today I went to King of the Nile costume shop which Yaz owns. He has amazing costumes and the craftmanship is amazing. He really has a lot of pride in his costumes. So today I went to work with him and boy...that was interesting!!! Before he went to work he took me down this alley way by his building. We turned the corner and there was a real market. Not the tourist thing you see. I stuck out like a sore thumb!!! All the ladies were completely covered with the majority looking out 2 peep holes for eyes. They were nice to me but you could tell some were giving me the up & down. The men stare but whatever. It's their culture. So my sis stayed at the apartment with Julie because che (my sis) was still pale from the day before. She had a bit of heat exhaustion. The temperature yesterday was 116 degrees and today was 120. OUCH. tomorrow it should be a tad cooler. Should be. So I went to the market and Yaz spent $4 for the following: 10 tomatoes, 2 pita breads, about 10 date filled breads, 2 croissants, jar of honey, 2 liters of water, coke, pineapple juice and 2 cheese boxes. No lie. $4. What an interesting combination of food. I ate all of it. OH yes and I forget the best part - falafel! He got like a lb of fresh deep fried falafel straight from the fryer. I can honestly say I have NEVER eaten anything SO good. The flavor was intense and amazing. Texture was perfect. Oh it was the best. That is what I ate for breakfast and then ate a cheese and tomato croissant sandwich for lunch. His employee also bought me a peach juice that is solid juice with big chunks of peach. I can't even describe it. The food is just fabulous. Yesterday I even tried pure cane juice. SO far so good....no stomach issues as of yet. Only some mild heartburn. I know this is TMI - but I am regular and let me tell you - I am happy about that - so far. We will knock on wood that it stays that way. No jet lag so far. We shall see.

Today I had a custom made Melaya Leff dress made - fiery red. Ruffles, pailletes, sequins, beads...oh my! Goregous! King of the Nile seamstress' are amazing. I got to watch them hand bead stuff.

So exciting!

No comments: