Friday, September 07, 2007

Remembering the old days


Lots of kids at the orphanage. Too many. I vowed back in the 80's that I'd go to Guatemala and adopt a child one day. It's still on my mind.


This is a photo of me opening a bag for some orphans. My brother is wearing the green shirt and my mom is in brown. It's an experience I will never forget!


This is a photo of me at one of the many Mayan ruins we visited. You can see how HOT and tired I was. Look at that hair!


This is my tio Guto's store in Zacapa. I'm standing next to my cousin Claudia. My tia Letty is in the photo along with her employees.


My grandmother is now buried in Guatemala. This is her grave. I am wearing the pink shirt and black pants.


This is a photo of my dad in his younger years and my grandma Concepcion.


This is a photo of me, my brother, cousins Ricky & Roberto, cousin Claudia, tia Letty...and I'm not sure who! This is in Esquipulas, June 1986 is what it says on the back of the polaroid. So I was 11 years old.


This is a photo of me, my brother and our cousins Ricky & Roberto. We are in my tio Guto's front yard of his house.

My mom has been re-modeling her house and I went by to see all the new rooms and decorating she has done. I went ahead & grabbed a handful of photos while I was there so I could scan them in.

Some of you know that my dad is from Guatemala and I have been fortunate enough to have gone 3 times in my life. All 3 times we drove the long trip down thru Mexico all the way to Guatemala city and then to Zacapa where my dad's family is. On one of our trips we took 2 pick up trucks full of toys, clothes & food to the orphanage in Guatemala. I remember how we had to use some of the toys in the trucks as bribery to get through the check points in Mexico.

Anyways, the year is either 1985 or 1986. I was either 9 or 10 years old in these photos.

No comments: