Thursday, September 06, 2007

I am in awe.

I would share more photos but they are too personal in nature. I just wanted to share my feelings on this.....

The husband used my other camera to take some photos of new baby and he grabbed one of me. My face says it all.


Fresh baby! :-)

I was truly blessed to experience/witness a birth last night/morning. I got the call at 1am that my client was indeed in labor! I drove to Centerton and was so worried about "missing" the birth. I got there and she was starting some heavier labor. It is the 1st time in 10 years of taking photos that I was actually very nervous. I've never witnessed a birth before. I do have a 7 year old little one but she came to this earth via c-section, so this would be my 1st birthing experience. She chose to have baby at home and it made me even more nervous because I'm a worry wart- thinking of all kinds of things that could go wrong.

She had a midwife there and she was so awesome. She gave me a bit of a back massage because she could see how tense and nervous I was. That broke the ice for me and it helped me relax. The room was dimly lit and had 3 candles, which can cause lots of blur so I had to really set a high iso on the camera and shoot as wide open as I could. During the labor, many moments were still, so I was able to take advantage of the stillness of the her labor. It did get more intense but I was still able to capture it. After she spent some time in the big tub she did finally move to the bed. After her water broke she moved to squat on the floor and that is when I witnessed her son being born. It happend so quickly and I got some of the most amazing shots of his birth. All the photos were taken in black & white which really set the mood.

Everyone in the room cried. I did, too. It was the so emotional, beautiful, and inspirational. I saw life happen in the real sense. The emotions were so raw, so real and it was an experience I will never ever forget!

I got home at 6:30am, just as the alarm clock went off. Amelia woke up and I was purely exhausted. Doug took care of getting her breakfast & taking her to school which I am so thankful for having such a loving & supportive husband.

The experience really changed my perspective on life. What it means to be here. To love one another. I dont' want to sound cheesey or corny but I felt so close to God at that moment and it wasn't even my kid :-) I don't know how to put it into words but it truly was amazing.

....now I want a baby....... !!

1 comment:

Minoa said...

Those pictures were amazing!!!

Of course, I have to ask...did you scream when you got the massage? ;)